I have been a really bad blogger and, frankly, am having a hard time getting back in the groove. I was pleased to find this meme to kick things off and hopefully get me back in the swing.
2008 was quite a year. It was full and fabulous and, oddly enough, a mixture of equal parts pain and joy.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Wow...this is not starting out so well because I can't think of a thing. Note to self: be more adventurous in 2009.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I am not a person who believes in resolutions; especially not ones that you make on January 1st. So it seems that I like to make and break them all throughout the year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes. My sister Ashley gave birth to little Sadie Katherine (see here and here) in November.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes. My sweet Grandmother, "NaNa", passed away May 18th. See here.
5. What countries did you visit? Does Hurricane Mills count? That's country. Ha!
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? A smaller butt. (Sorry....just being honest.)
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? The month of May when NaNa elected to forego further dialysis treatments and enter Hospice (see several May posts). The month of July when my church split. The Fall of year when Carson began playing football for Cumberland University. And, overall, just realizing in all of it, that God provided exactly what we needed, exactly when we needed it.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I finally became committed to improving my health by eating right (joined WW), exercising and ultimately losing weight.
9. What was your biggest failure? Failing to see God in every.little.detail of my life. Trust me, He's always there...just look.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I had the flu in February, I had my first Mammogram which resulted in the big "c" scare and subsequent surgery, I had Lasik surgery (which was and is THE BOMB), and I've been so sore that I couldn't hardly walk after working out with my really mean : ) personal trainer.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Oh gosh, I don't know. We bought a new Canon EOS Digital camera for one another for our anniversary and I love it. Jeff bought himself a 4-wheeler and a pick-up truck this year and I am thrilled about that for him...he's been wanting to do that for a while. He feels like a real manly man now.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Jordan's teenager attitude has definitely improved. He is more and more like the little boy I once knew.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I am choosing not to answer this one; however, I'm pretty mad at Adam and Eve for making us ALL sinners.
14. Where did most of your money go? Mortgage, Target, Groceries, a really cool Spring Break with friends in the Keys
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Gosh, I don't get REALLY, REALLY excited about much but having a new baby girl in the family was a huge blessing this year.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? "Praise You In This Storm" by Casting Crowns.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? Happy to be content no matter the hand that life deals.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Bible Study, ministering to others, strengthenting relationships...worldly and Heavenly
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Wasting time.
20. How did you spend Christmas? At home with Dad and family (13th), in Dickson with Dad's extended family (21st), at Jimmy & Melinda's with Jeff's family (22nd), at home with my family (24th) and at Mom's for breakfast Christmas morning then home for a day of laziness. The best part of it all being that Jeff was off of work for two entire weeks.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008? I am so blessed to HONESTLY say that I fall more and more in love with Jeff each and every day.
22. What was your favorite TV program? The Biggest Loser
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don't nor have I ever HATED anyone. That's such a strong word and my Mom NEVER allowed us to use it. I'm glad.
24. What was the best book you read? Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers....stop what you are doing and go and get it right now. Seriously.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? I have no musical talent but I have LOVED watching the family play Rock Band. Maybe THAT'S the discovery...that you don't have to have talent to enjoy music.
26. What did you want and get? A new camera, a pair of Uggs, some smaller jeans.
27. What did you want and not get? Some REALLY small jeans and long legs.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Fireproof, Four Christmases, Marley & Me.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Well, I was/am 41 which is the problem. Last year, my sweet husband, threw me the absolute best surprise party at Stoney River for my 40th...on the same day that he bought me a new car. Any birthday after that is a bit of a let down.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? On the shallow side: a housekeeper. On the not-so-shallow side: Friends and family who didn't have to deal with so much hurt.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Comfy and just shy of a visit from "What Not To Wear"
32. What kept you sane? The Holy Spirit, God's grace, and Jesus. Isaiah 54:10
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I enjoyed getting to know Sarah Palin though I was so sick of the election drama.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Abortion is always the kicker for me.
35. Who did you miss? NaNa of course.
36. Who was the best new person you met? I would have to go with The Agnew's, The Stegall's and The Whitenack's. What a blessing!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. We are all sinners. Some of us are saved sinners and some of us are lost sinners. It's the only dividing line.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.