Friday, November 28, 2008

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

It is the day after Thanksgiving and I did what I normally do and headed out shopping this morning; albeit at 7:00 a.m. which, by most Black Friday shoppers' standards is WAY late. My Mom and 21 year old brother spent the night with me so that we could all head out together (hubby and boys, by the way, were hunting) which has been our tradition the last couple of years. Carson cracks us up as he basically just rolls out of the bed and joins us (in all his ungroomed glory). In all honesty, Mom and I weren't looking too good ourselves but we won't mention that here. He is the official driver and he is so good to let us out at the door and then park. Except today, somehow, we managed to find some primo parking all day and hardly required valet service at all. Ashley (my sister) met up with us at Cool Springs a little later. I think she actually bathed - ha!

Normally, I put out my Christmas decorations on this weekend also. Typically taking the better part of two days. Earlier this week, though, I got a bit of a head start (on Wednesday) by dragging it all out of the attic, assembling the tree and decorating the banisters and the front porch (well, I do have a bit of details to finish out there). I have taken on a new attitude this year as I am being very laid back about my decor. Normally, I overdo it and then begin dreading the take-down process on Christmas Eve which puts a bit of a damper on things. This year, we have simplified our outdoor decor and I have eliminated one gigantic (15 foot) tree in our Great Room. I have to be honest, as I sit here with almost everything done with about 3-4 hours work involved, I am feeling pretty good about this decision.

I love to decorate...I really do but I felt the pull this year to change my focus. I pray that I remain mindful during this season to stay focused on the One for whom we celebrate, the One who was born in a stable and placed in a manger; no hype involved.

1 comment:

Linda said...

When will we see pictures? Are you doing BooMama's tour? Have a great day!
Blessings,
Linda