On Day 5, the team split up and made several stops.
- There was a group that returned to Korah.
- A visit was made to an orphanage with waiting children. "Waiting Children" are the children in the orphanage who, for whatever reason (age, special need, sibling groups, etc.) are harder to place. In Kelly's travel to Ethiopia, she determined that though you can not place pictures of waiting children on a public website, you can send their pictures out in an email. In 2009, while traveling with her sister to pick up her newly adopted niece, Kelly took pictures of 8 children in this same orphanage. After speaking up and speaking out for these children, all 8 were adopted. From this, Ordinary Hero's "Speak Up" newsletter/email was born. You may sign up to be on the "Speak Up" email list on Ordinary Hero's site. Since that initial email, OH has been highly successful placing more and more children in this manner.
- Some went to a transition home for the agency, Celebrate Children International. A transition home is, well, just what it sounds like. It is a home where children who have been matched with families go to stay until the adoption is complete.
- There was a stop at the Mother Teresa HIV Orphanage, and......
- An impromptu game of soccer with some street children.
A full day indeed.