Thursday, January 27, 2011

Looking Back In Order to Look Forward - Part IIa

If you have been following along the past couple of days, you are aware that I am looking back at the posts from the 2010 Ordinary Hero trip to Ethiopia. I will be taking this same trip in 2011 and I just wanted to spend some time looking back as I look forward.

Yesterday, I posted from 2010's Day 3 and their visit to Korah. If you haven't read that post, please take the time to go back and take a look.

Today's post is also from Day 3. What can I say? Day 3 was just a two-post kind of day.

Besides Korah, one of the things that really struck me about this day started with a paragraph that began with a sentence as simple as this:

"We were also blessed to be able to feed these kids lunch."

Seems simple enough.

But as I read on, I quickly learned that sheep, in Africa, is a delicacy. And since OH wanted to provide something special for the people there, the obvious meal was a stew made of, you guessed it, sheep. Sheep that would be purchased....(on the side of the road)....using a monetary gift that was given to OH by a couple who just wanted to do something special for the people of Ethiopia.

Back to the sheep.

Any of you that know me know that I am quite the animal lover so as I read the details of this sheep purchase, sheep transport and, inevitable, sheep slaughter, I have to be honest.....I cringed more than a little. (And my husband laughed at the prospect of my having such an experience).

But perspective is an amazing thing and, it didn't take me long to realize the fact that I feel prepared (though I'm sure I'm not) to see and love on orphaned children and people who live in a trash dump but the thought of watching (or hearing; I can cover my eyes) a sheep being slaughtered gave me the "willies".

I feel absolutely certain that God; the One who called me to this trip; the One who made a way for me to go; the One who knows that I'm a lover of his four-legged creatures....I think He's got this handled.



Note: When/If you go to the link for Day 3, don't forget to take a look at the photo gallery which is linked at the very bottom of that day's post.

No comments: